You’ve had too much than planned and you’re already fearing the after-effects. Help is at hand, thanks to BESTFIT’s Sophie Gradon
On the night
- When you get in, TRY and remember to drink a pint of water before bed with a soluble vitamin C to neutralise the toxic effects of the alcohol.
- Alcohol will deplete your B vitamin level. To counteract, take a B complex vitamin.
The Morning After
- Try a ginger, peppermint tea, or coconut water, all full of rehydrating electrolytes.
- Gherkins are loaded with potassium, magnesium and electrolytes. Don’t pour the brine away, drink it! Sports athletes
do this at the side of the pitch as the vinegar is both full of electrolytes and is known to ease muscle cramps!
- Smoothies are possibly the best aid for a hangover. Blend potassium-rich foods like banana, and greens such as spinach or kale.
- Chicken noodle soup will fill
you up and help you to restore
levels of sodium and water.
- Sushi. That addictive mix of fish, soy and wasabi work so well together, providing you with Omega 3, electrolytes, sodium and a good head-clearing kick from the wasabi, which also has bacteria-fighting qualities.
- Tomatoes are full of vitamin C, so try a Virgin Mary (no, adding vodka, it will not benefit you in any way!). That, or a tomato salad with plenty of Himalayan salt and basil, which has many toxic-fighting benefits.